Disability Lawyers in South-Central Pennsylvania
If you suffer from illness or injury and cannot work, you may be entitled to benefits under the federal Social Security Administration’s disability program. You may be uncertain as to whether you qualify or if you are eligible for benefits. This page provides basic information about the criteria for obtaining Social Security disability benefits.
Determining Social Security Disability (SSD) Eligibility
The first criteria for determining whether you can receive Social Security disability benefits is the amount of time you are unable to work because of your illness or injury. According to the law, you must be disabled (or expected to be unable to work) for 12 consecutive months in order to qualify. You can, however, receive benefits immediately if you have medical evidence that indicates your disability will last at least 12 months.
Even if you can show that you will be disabled for the required 12 month period, your likelihood of receiving benefits will be much greater if your condition falls into one of the following categories of traditionally successful claims.
The physical injuries that most often result in a successful Social Security disability claim include
- heart attack, disease or other cardiovascular diagnoses
- amputation or loss of limb
- chronic pain diagnoses, including fibromyalgia or arthritis
- back, neck or spinal cord injuries, including disc injuries
- traumatic brain injury (TBI) or other head injury
- epilepsy or Parkinson’s disease
- multiple sclerosis
- chronic fatigue syndrome
- HIV/AIDS or Hepatitis C
You may also be able to recover Social Security disability benefits for mental or psychological disorders, such as
- schizophrenia, multiple personality disorder, bi-polar disorder or autism
- attention deficit disorder (ADD) or attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD)
- post-traumatic stress syndrome (PTSD)
- addiction disorders
- learning disabilities, including dyslexia
Guide to Social Security Disability Law:
At the law office of Trinity Law, we have handled 100’s of Social Security disability claims for over 30 years. We represent clients throughout south-central Pennsylvania, including Harrisburg, Lancaster and York. Contact our office online or call us at 717-843-8046 (toll-free at 866-464-5297) to set up a free initial consultation.